Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Moving home...

No one really wants to admit this, publicize this or put it on social media (at least I don't) but yes it is true. After 6 years on my own I am at home for a stint. If you are wondering why, its pretty much for the usual reasons. I have to save money after the New York adventure, have to finish up my last online classes so I can be an official graduate, and most importantly spend some time with my mother. (And every one else.) Living away from home for so long, with the first two summers spent in Sac, the rest of the years were consecutively spent in Utah, I only visited home once or twice a year. Working full time and school full time did not afford the luxury of visits home. In some ways moving home means having to rebuild relationships with your closest family members. Phone calls and emails don't really keep you up to date on a persons habits, likes and dislikes. Of course I still feel like I know my parents and siblings like the back of hand but my mom sure can't seem to remember what I am like. ;) It is a learning experience for all of us. I am going through those "independence" moments where I can't deal with my mom asking what I am doing all day and she gets impatient when I forget to call or stay out late when I don't tell her what I am doing (Sorry mom!!) It seems we are all going through an adjustment faze. However, despite me needing to work on more patience I am really enjoying this brief time at home. You often take for granted your family relationships and all that they have to offer. Getting to spend time with my mom everyday has been really wonderful, I sure have missed her. I am happy that for once I won't be missing out on all the family fun!

While being home I have taken two short trips. One was to Reno to visit my cousins Danelle and Eric. They took such good care of me! It was so nice to spend time together after such a long time apart. We enjoyed an animal sanctuary and one day Danelle and I floated down the Truckee River..besides a few face plants I ended up taking, it was a smooth ride! (Seriously though..it was like some kind of ridiculous movie scene where the main character trips over their own feet and causes a domino effect..I could not move on the rocks with out face planting over and over again)

The drive through the mountains.


(This was the amazingly gorgeous cougar at the sanctuary..he wanted me for lunch)

 One of Danelle and Eric's dogs Cooper..I loved this guy.



 Then the day after I got home, Ma and Pa took me to Tahoe for a romantic getaway. Just kidding. We stayed, funnily enough, at a resort we had always driven by, and I as a child had always wanted to stay at because their mascot was a St.Bernard (Beethoven anyone?) As luck would have it they upgraded us to a suite for free so I enjoyed my own room with a queen sized luxury bed with the air conditioning set at a cool 64. We went on a lovely hike to Vikingsholm, had a picnic at Sugar Pike National Park.  We spent the next day on the beach and had an amazing dinner at a local italian restaurant. Before we left the next morning my parents bought me and my sisters lovely little bracelets made by the local Navahos.









No comments:

Post a Comment